Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Riley & Me

The one and only time Riley was allowed to sit on the couch...to "help me blog"
First of all I never thought I would have a dog, much less cry over one, unless of course I was crying with fear. I have always been afraid of dogs and growing up we didn't have pets. Well, unless you count a turtle me and my brother found when we were lived in Kansas, we named it Michelangelo after one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We also had our fair share of being fish owners, but never had a dog...aka....a real pet.

Marrying Andy ment becoming a pet owner and I have learned to accept the dog hair, poopy walks, dog park and all that comes with owning a dog. However, it wasnt' till Sunday night that I realized how much Riley means to me. Before now I didn't fully understand how people could be so attached to their pets, and not I have to admit I am one of those people.

Sunday night I went to bed as soon as our Small Group members left. I had just fallen asleep when I heard a crashing thud. I ran into the living room and saw Riley and Andy on the lanai. I sreamed "What happened? Are you okay?" thinking that Andy fell. He was semi laughing, but had a concerned look on his face and was checking Riley's face. Our poor Riley-dog ran smack into the glass sliding door. It was something straight out of a Windex commercial. Poor thing.

After we checked to see if she was okay I started crying hysterically. It freaked me out so much that something happened to her. I was afraid she had a concusion or something. Andy just looked at me and said, "are you really crying? you love her don't you?!" All I could do was hold her and cry. I can now say I finally understand what it is liked to be attached to a pet. The things I love most about Riley include: her excitement everytime I walk in the door, that she sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed, when I'm at home alone she follows me around and sits in whatever room I'm in, and last but not least....she takes treats from me, but not Andy =)

1 comment:

  1. Attachment to pets is definitely an interesting phenomenon.... I held out for years, but we've had a dog for 2 years now. She is the best gift we've ever given to our boys. Mandy teaches us good lessons all the time! And, we love her dearly!!!

    ReplyDelete